Thursday, August 07, 2008

A Mother's Reflections. . .

I'm writing this post more for myself than anyone else's benefit, so just bare with me as I work my way through my thoughts on this post. I have lots of friends (both bloggies and non-bloggies) that are pregnant right now with babies (#1, #2, or #3 children) and those that have just had babies and hearing all of thier stories makes me kind of reflect on my family's lives over the past few years.

The day of Anna's birth and those days that followed are still a bit of a blur, but there are a few things that really stand out in my mind of the emotions and feelings I had (I know, Sam, you remember my weeping very clearly I'm sure!). These emotions were very raw and real and I am so thankful that I had a husband and family that allowed me to express them and deal with them. I think my mom was really worried that I ws suffering from Post-Partum, but I am very confident that that was not the case at all!

So, you're wondering, what emotions and feelings were you dealing with? Well, the biggest one was the idea that somehow I was "losing" Mary Mac as my baby - I mean, up to that point, she WAS my baby and in a matter of a few hours, she WASN'T - she was my Big Girl/Big Sister. I felt so guilty for taking her baby-hood away from her so young and forcing her into this world of being a Big Girl at the ripe old age of 2 1/2. i mean, Sam and I made this choice for her and never consulted her on it. How selfish could we have been? We wanted another child, not Mary Mac - she was happy and content being the only child. I vividly remember seeing her for the first time after having Anna and immediately I noticed (whether in reality or just in my head - dunno?) that she had grown like a foot and had these enormous hands and feet, that is, compared to this new miracle that we had been waiting on for almost 9 months, who was so tiny and fragile.

Another major emotion was my fear of how I was going to be able to raise not just 1 fearless and confident female, but 2! Mary Mac was already growing into this confident, yet sweet little girl and, for the life of me, when Anna was born, my brain just went blank as to what I thought "we" (Sam and I) did to get her to this stage of life! How on earth can I repeat this? The answer I have realized is that "we" did not do anything - the "we" in this equation was not just Sam and I, but also our faith in God as our guide to raise these little earthly beings! The other answer is that as Anna is getting older and developing her own little personality, I realize that I shouldn't have wanted to make a "clone" of Mary Mac or try and repeat her! Anna is her own, sweet, funny, loving little person - all by herself - curls and all! And Mary Mac is her own wild, fearless, confident, loving little girl, too! Wow, what a blessing we have in these 2 miracle babies!

Looking back, I can't believe I really had those crazy feelings and emotions, but I don't think I am the only mom that goes through this! I'm just going to chalk it up to being totally normal with just a little hormonal influence added to the mix! So, for those of you who are thinking that I am writing this because I have baby-fever? WRONG! No fever here! I think, for now at least, I will just enjoy everyone else's babies and live vicariously through you all. The thought of going back to All Things Baby world is sooooo not appealing to me! so if you find me smelling your sweet baby's head (yes, Molli, you were right - that smell is distinct and wonderful!), don't worry, just consider it my "fever medicine"! I'll get over it really quick - like, as soon as they start crying!

5 comments:

Connie said...

That was so sweet. And yes your Dad and I were worried. But you forgot to mention the added stress that we found out our baby Anna had a slight heart problem that they thought we could possibly have to have surgery soon. How blessed we have been that our Anna is still doing great and no surgery in the near future and I pray maybe never. Our Mary Mac did grow up overnight. But she will always be our first baby girl even though she hates when I call her that. Glad to know no baby fever right now. But if you do decide to go for another one, you and Sam will be fine. Yall are such great parents.

Mary T. said...

Leigh, I found your blog on your facebook. I totally agree about raising your kids to be one way, but you have no control! Only God does in how they turn out! I still have one and hope to have more, so I'll have to talk to you about all those feelings of #2 whenever that comes for us. I can totally see that happening to me, b/c my little boy, Win, is 4 so he's had ALOT of baby/only child time! LOVE your blog by the way- so fun to keep up with old friends!

Chris, Kristin, and Emily said...

What a sweet, and heartfelt post. I know that you and the girls will look back one day and have a great conversation about you feeling and love...maybe one day when they have children and are looking for advice. Can you believe it?! I just look at Emily in awe and think, how have we gotten this far? The Lord sure does give you strength when you don't even realize it. I know you both are great parents...I can see it in the pictures and hear it in your words!

Molli Kirby said...

I know Anna's not "technically" a baby anymore (a toddler, but that'll do), but can you bring her to see me again soon? I just need a quick fix...just a quick sniff...of her head! So sweet! Especially since I only get a sweaty, dirty, little boy to smell of. Funny thing, though, he still smells good to me. It must be a mom thing!

Angela said...

Hey Leigh,
It's Angela from the beach. I have been keeping up with you and the girls. I love being able to see how you are doing!! Our baby Charlie is also growing way too fast!
You are a great mom! Babies do smell fabulous!
Keep in touch. :)
Angela