Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Whole Lotta Nothing

Not a whole lot has been going on around here these days. It has been so nice to have a little (and I mean, little) down time. I have been crazy busy though trying to play catch up at work and at my house, but we have not had any plans on the schedule the past week other than the usual.

A funny story about Mary Mac: every night as she is getting in her bed, she always asks for us (whoever is doing bed-duty) to tell her a secret. I have no idea where or why this started, but never fail, she asks EVERY night! So, the other night as Sam was putting her to bed, he was at a total loss of what to tell her, so he tells her that we were going to get my grandmother's (the one that just passed away) jewelry box and that she was going to be able to pick out something for herself to keep for when she was older. I had no idea he had told her about this and was really not planning on saying anything to her about it until we actually did it (you moms/dads know about that anticipation thing with kids). The next morning after she got out of her bed, this was our conversation:

MMC: "Mom, when are going to have our treasure hunt?"
me: Ok, I think, hummm, treasure hunt? "Well, I don't know! What treasure hunt are talking about?"
MMC: "You know, the treasure hunt with Gran?"
me: "Oh, well, did Gran tell you she was going let you have a treasure hunt at her house?"
MMC: looking so confused (as was I), "You know, Mom!"

At this point in the conversation, I just happen to glance Sam's way and see this look on his face that means "Oops!" I say to Sam, "What is she talking about?" Sam then finally confesses that he may have mentioned to her about going through the jewelry last night as her "secret". OOOHHHHHH, I finally get what she's asking about - the mind of a 4 year old makes me laugh! Her little brain had processed all that information about picking out a piece my grandmother's jewelry as going on a treasure hunt! So cute!

Needless to say, my mom and I finally had a chance to go through her jewelry and I picked out a few pieces that I wanted to keep for myself and the girls. We also found a drawer full of silk scarves. My mom was not sure what we were going to do with the scarves when I immediately thought --- SCARF DANCING---- The girls love to scarf dance at ballet, so why not put those scarves in the dress up box so that they can scarf dance anytime????? They found them last night and had a ball running around with them and dancing. I told Sam that I bet my grandmother was smiling down at them dancing, and laughing saying, "why didn't I give them those scarves a long time ago!??" These are just couple of ways that I have found comfort in remembering her and we will be able to enjoy for years to come!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

What an awesome story and fun ways to remember your grandmother! Super news about Anna too - God is truly good and gracious! Just an FYI - you can call Casey anytime to order if you can't make the show! Her number is 391-4504. Easter orders have to be made by Feb 2 to get here in time. I understand completely the whole budget thing - after we did Dave Ramsey a year ago, things have never been the same since, but all for the better in the long term sense - but HARD in the short term - I'm a "I want it now" girl!!!!

Do ya'll take dance at the dance centre? What are your costumes for the recital?