Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Rainy Weekend Fun

This past weekend was another rainy weekend and when it was not actually raining, it looked like it would rain at any moment. So, you ask, what does the Collins Clan do on rainy days? Here you go. . .
1) Picked up my Organic Quarter Cow: I've been talking about doing this now for a year and I finally bit the bullet and made my purchase! I'll let you know my reviews! Check it out for yourself - it supports our local farmers and it's organic!

The 4 full boxes = 1/4 cow!


2) Made a trip to the local produce stand and here is my purchase(s): I love this time of year when you can get fresh, local, yummy fruits and veggies! Beans, peas, corn, onions, peanuts, etc.


3) Began my annual freezer stashes of fresh veggies. I do this gradually throughout the summer so as not to make it such a huge project and expense. This weekend I put about 6 quarts of peas up and another quart of beans and several ears of corn. This year I had a great "little helper" (Anna). I would have taken a picture of her but our hands were a mess and didn't want to risk leaving a 2 year alone with a table full of peas! She loves keeping things orderly and cleaned up so her job was to collect as many peas as she could in my measuring cup and then we would pour it into the bag. We only had a few peas to hit the floor, but once they are cooked, no one will ever know the difference (hopefully, haha!).

Drying the peas on the kitchen table
The finished product! Headed to join my cow in the freezer!!!

signature

3 comments:

Molli Kirby said...

You are too funny! We introduced our friends in the cul-de-sac to baked cheese grits, homemade peach ice cream (NONE of them had ever had homemade ice cream before, much less peach), and smoked chicken wings this past weekend. They think we're the "real thing" when it comes to southern cooking...if they only knew! BTW, when's supper?

Chris, Kristin, and Emily said...

it's that time of year again! can you remind all of us how you do the freezing of the veggies again? i can't seem to find the instructions from last year. i thought i'd printed them out some where...oh, the mommy brain!

Maggie Pelton said...

This is right up my ally!! I am going crazy on their website and loving that they deliver to Atlanta!! I may just have to get me some meat!