Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Locks of Love

In case you were wondering why I have added the Locks of Love image on the sidebar, there is a reason! We have been letting Mary Mac's hair grow for about a year now and it is getting so long. She has not wanted to cut it until just recently, but I wanted to make it a learning experience for Mary Mac to realize how blessed we are! You have to have a minimum of 10 inches to donate and we are almost there. As soon as we reach that point, I am going to either take pictures or a video of cutting it and post it on the blog -so stay tuned! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help Mary Mac understand the importance of donating her hair? I'm up for suggestions because everything I think of telling her sounds like it will be over her head.

On another note -and a Mary Mac funny- Sam and I got back from our trip on Sunday and Mary Mac and the babysitter had made cupcakes over the weekend. She wanted one after dinner that night so she pulled her stool up to the counter and she picked out the one she wanted. She took it into the playroom and within minutes she ran into the kitchen and had licked the icing off and threw the cake part away (UUGGHHH - Mommy would have eaten it!). When she asked for another one (standing back on her stool), Sam told her that she could have it but that if she only wanted the icing then give him the cake instead of throwing it away! So she starts laughing and tells Sam, "Well, blow me down!" Sam then blows on her and she falls off of the stool (being funny, of course). She jumps back up on the stool and continues to say, "I've gotta quit saying that!" It was hilarious!!! I guess, though, it's only hilarious to those who have ever watched The Wiggles - this is a famous saying of Captain Feathersword! It's amazing the things kids remember and repeat!

4 comments:

Connie said...

The only thing I can think of is help Mary Mac understand would be to maybe go to the web site of "locks of love" and see about pictures and stories of children that either are waiting on hair for wigs or have received some. I think she would understand more is she could see what you are talking about. We will have to watch her though, after we cut her hair so may try this again on her own because she has such a SWEET HEART.

Kellie said...

How funny the "blow me down" - don't they just make you laugh??? Why do all children eat just the icing??? Our next b'day, I'm just going to have an "ICING" cake!!! j/k!! See you this afternoon!

Chris, Kristin, and Emily said...

I don't have any great advice about how to teach Mary Mac about what a special gift she is giving, but she will definitely grow to understand. I donated 12 inches several weeks ago and they sent me a note in the mail...I didn't know! You can hold on to it for her when she gets a little older. Maybe she'll want to do it again some day!

Kellie said...

Leigh, i am planning a baby shower dinner for Rachel - email me at kellie.patton@hardin.mh.alabama.gov so we can discuss details. thanks - I sent you an email to the address she gave me,but it came back.