Thursday, June 25, 2009

Another Genius Moment

I promise not to constantly brag on how smart I think my child is, but I am so proud and very impressed! The other day after picking the girls up from preschool, I was listening to Fox News on XM radio. Yes, I am a news dork - can't get enough! I guess I get it honestly since all of my family is the same way! Anyway, the girls were watching a DVD on their TV in the backseat with their headphones on - I can only listen to kids movies for a short amount of time before I start to go crazy! By the way, if you have not gotten into the headphone thing, I highly recommend it! It keeps me sane, especially on roadtrips. Back to the story. So all of a sudden, MM says, "Hey, Mom, I see fox." Not really understanding what she was talking about and wondering if she was talking about a fox on the movie, or on the side of the road (hope not), I asked, "What fox?" She pointed her long, skinny finger at the screen on my radio and said, "right there, f-o-x, spells fox!" I think I almost swerved off the road in shock. I started screaming and yelling about how proud I was of her that she was reading all by herself. She was so proud! I mean, we read books, work on words and letters and sounding them out, but that was the first time she (unprovoked) saw a word and sounded it out in her head and then read it! WOW! And I have her signed up for a reading class that starts next week - maybe I should ask for a refund! Ha - just a joke! We have a ways to go, but that is definitely a start in the right direction!

signature

2 comments:

Molli Kirby said...

I remember when Blake did that, too. What a huge relief to know that they are capable of learning to read...especially when I didn't even realize I was carrying around that worry until it was over. Yea, MM!!!

Maggie Pelton said...

Way to go MM. I'm sure you were excited. That's a big deal!!!